Tired of the same old, same old for breakfast? Try something healthy and new with Chef Michael’s Hartstone Granola recipe. It’s great by itself, just add milk. Or, serve it with yogurt and fresh fruit. Here at the Hartstone Inn, we serve it layered in our Lemon Mousse Trifle with a Banana Bread and a Berry Sauce. Another idea – bag it up or put in glass Mason jars as a homemade gift!
6 cups old-fashioned oats
1 1/2 cups wheat germ
1 cup wheat bran
1 cup oat bran
1 cup sliced almonds
1 cup walnut pieces
2 cups brown sugar
2 cups shredded coconut
3/4 cup sesame seeds
1 cup dried powdered milk
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup canola oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup raisins
1 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread the oats out on two baking sheets with sides and toast for 15 minutes.
- Mix together the remaining grains, nuts, brown sugar, coconut, sesame seeds and dry milk in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix together the honey, maple syrup, oil and vanilla extract.
- When the oats are toasted, add them to the large bowl with the grains along with the honey mixture and mix well. Spread the mixture out on the two baking sheets and bake for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the oven and mix in the cranberries and raisins.
- Cool and store in an airtight container, for up to 1 month.