Michael’s Cornbread yields: two 12-inch cast iron skillets
6 large ears corn on the cob 2 teaspoons olive oil
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup milk
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1 1/2 cups melted unsalted butter 3 eggs
2 1/4 cups cake flour
1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup cornmeal
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
butter and cake flour to coat pans
- Preheat grill or grill pan on high heat. Preheat oven to 375-degrees F.
- Peel away and remove the corn husks and silk. Drizzle the cobs with the olive oil and grillthe corn, turning every minute until evenly covered with grill marks.
- Place the cobs on a cutting board and remove the kernels with a knife, being careful not tocut into the tough cob.
- Combine the heavy cream, milk, and maple syrup in a blender and blend for 10 seconds.Add the corn kernels (reserving 1/4 cup of the kernels for garnish) and blend for 1 minute. Scrape down with a rubber spatula and add the melted butter and eggs. Blend again until well combined.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cornmeal, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Stir until well combined.
- Add the corn mixture to the flour bowl and stir until well combined.
- Brush the two 12-inch cast iron skillets with soft butter and coat lightly with cake flour,tapping out excess flour.
- Divide the cornbread batter evenly between the two skillets and sprinkle with the reservedgrilled corn kernels.
- Bake the cornbread in the preheated 375-degree F. oven for about 15 minutes, or untilgolden brown on top. Cool slightly but serve warm with the Honey Thyme Butter.