5 egg yolks
1/4 cup, plus 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1/2 vanilla bean, seeds scraped out to use, pod reserved for another use (or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract)
1 cup whipping cream
3 Tablespoons whole milk
1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
1/4 cup pecan pieces (optional)
4 sprigs of spearmint for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Heat about 1 quart of water in a teakettle (or saucepan) for a hot water bath.
2. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar. Add the vanilla and whisk in cream and milk.
3. Divide the blueberries and pecans between four shallow ceramic dishes. Divide the custard mixture between the four dishes and place in a pan with at least 1-inch sides. Fill the pan with the hot water about halfway up the sides of the dishes.
4. Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes or until firm. Remove from the oven and water bath and cool. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
5. To serve, evenly sprinkle the top of each with enough granulated sugar to cover. Using a torch, slowly begin to caramelize the sugar, moving the torch around a lot to prevent burning in any given area. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream, some fresh blueberries and a sprig of fresh spearmint.